The year is ending. It is that time when we make resolutions. As usual, many will jump in to (re)write their resolutions like: ‘I’ll quit smoking come Jan 1st.’ ‘Oh, I’ll learn social media marketing.’ ‘This year, my goals are to become visible online, to build a followership and score some dough.’ ‘A-ha! There is the vision board where I’ll stamp my wants in pictures and notes (I’ll even write me a check from the Universe. (he he he).’
Again, like 2017, 2018 will end and we will start afresh to set new resolutions for 2019. This is a never ending circle and will always leave you at the same spot.
So instead of rewriting resolutions, why not build good habits? You see, success (just like failure) is borne out of what we constantly and consistently do – our habits.
Success is a result of our habits, and this is not by chance. Habits take time to crystallize. It is believed that it takes at least 66 days to develop a new habit.
This coming year, I decided to build new GREAT habits so I can live the life I want.
There are 6 (core) aspects of my life I am building excellence (habits) in. I suggest you do same.
They are: Spiritual, Emotional, Financial (Career, Money etc.), Physical (health), Intellectual and Relational (my relationships). I’ll talk a bit on two of them.
My strategy is:
- Identify one key thing I need to do in each area: Instead of chasing too many in each area, I just simply pick one and focus on it.
- Determine three actions I must take for the next 66 days until that one thing becomes a habit.
- Set a schedule (an alarm/reminder). There are numerous apps you could use. They will prompt you to rise and get to it. I use my ol’ phone alarm.
- Use the 5 Sec Rule to break the ice. This rule states that you only have 5 sec to get to the next task. So instead of the continued planning and strategizing, just get on to it. Count 1,2,3 and before you count 5, START! (Make this rule a habit. It will bring you long term satisfaction and peace).
- Build more habits by repeating 1- 5. Once your excellence target is met, craft out more in each area, such that while habitually doing the already learned habit, you are purposefully learning the new sect.
- PHYSICAL HABIT. For my health and fitness goal, I want to be very trim (my friend
Blackman would say lean and mean) and full of energy, without killing myself .
What I decided to do:
- 3 times a week, I’ll jog from my house to a good distance and back. I choose Monday’s, Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Each day, 6-7AM. So I set an alarm to this effect and for the past 2 weeks, I have been prompted to do so.
- I charge my phone to supply music to take my mind away from the distance I cover.
Gradually, it is becoming a part of me to just jog a distance and back. If I keep at it for 66 days, I know I will constantly jog without any reminder. This will continue for years to come. As of today, I am winning! Jogging helps your fitness and health a great deal.
So for your health, Will you jog with me?
- SPIRITUAL HABIT. I am a Christian and I seriously need to be closer to my God. My daily routine grants little or no space for this.
What I decided to do.
- On the days I jogging, play worship music ONLY. This way, I am reminded that I am still alive by His grace.
- Set an alarm to wake take a 10minute Study and Pray @ 5: 25AM daily. I simply use my 5Sec Rule to stand up and look into my Bible for a single verse for my day. I kneel and pray in line.
- I picked a day to fast and pray (12PM only). That way, I can reflect more on what He does in my life. These few Habit-Acts help me keep in check, and know where my help comes from.
Will you pray with me?
Your situation may be different from mine. Maybe you have a solid foundation with God already and need to focus on money generation. Why not create some daily/weekly/monthly habit acts and build them until they are a part of you?
After all, Excellence ought to be a habit, not an act!